Skip to main content

Featured Story

10 Named to Athletic Hall of Fame

Former NC State wrestling champion Sylvester Terkay, center, joins Chancellor Randy Woodson and athletics director Debbie Yow at an event announcing the newest members of the Athletic Hall of Fame.

The newest 10-member class of the NC State Athletic Hall of Fame includes the most versatile student-athlete of the school’s first half-century and two of legendary head coach Everett Case’s most decorated players.

Jack “Spindle Legs” McDowall earned 11 letters in four different sports and led State College to its first Southern Conference championships in both football (1927) and basketball (1929), while also playing baseball and running track. He is the school’s most decorated multi-sport athlete, selected for the North Carolina Sports Hall of Fame and the College Football Hall of Fame.

Both Dick Dickey and Lou Pucillo helped Case, a member of the hall’s inaugural class, build and sustain his nationally recognized program. Dickey is one of the school’s three three-time All-Americans in basketball, while Pucillo was named both the 1959 ACC Player of the Year and Athlete of the Year.

hall-of-fame-200

Mr. and Ms. Wuf welcome the newest members of the Hall of Fame.

Five other athletes, one coach and one special contributor are also included in the new class: football players Dennis Byrd and Danny Peebles, women’s basketball player Chasity Melvin, women’s soccer standout Charmaine Hooper, swimmer Steve Rerych, former baseball and assistant basketball coach Sam Esposito and longtime financial booster Wendell Murphy.

McDowall, Dickey and Byrd will be inducted posthumously, while the remaining members of the class are expected to be on hand for the Oct. 10 induction ceremony at Reynolds Coliseum. They will also be recognized the next day at halftime of the NC State-Boston College Football game at Carter-Finley Stadium.

“Once again, the [election committee] made excellent choices for the third class being inducted into the NC State Athletic Hall of Fame,” said director of athletics Debbie Yow. “Telling the NC State story through the inductions makes the achievements come alive to those who attend the gala. And, by the fall of 2016, the hall will have a new and permanent home in the Reynolds Walk of Fame and History.”

The new class brings the total number of athletes, coaches and special contributors in the hall to 30, representing a total of 10 varsity sports.

2014 NC State Athletic Hall of Fame Class:

Name Sport Years Competed
Dennis Byrd Football 1964-67
Dick Dickey Men’s Basketball 1946-50
Sam Esposito Baseball Coach 1967-87
Charmaine Hooper Women’s Soccer 1987-90
Jack McDowell Multi-sport (Football/Basketball/Track) 1926-29
Chasity Melvin Women’s Basketball 1995-98
Wendell Murphy Special Contributor
Danny Peebles Track & Field/Football 1984-88
Lou Pucillo Men’s Basketball 1957-59
Dr. Steve Rerych Men’s Swimming 1964-68

Current Members of the NC State Athletic Hall of Fame:

Student-Athletes
Name Sport Year Inducted
Genia Beasley Women’s Basketball 2012
Tommy Burleson Men’s Basketball 2013
Mike Caldwell Baseball 2013
Ted Brown Football 2012
Roman Gabriel Football 2012
Steve Gregg Men’s Swimming 2013
Torry Holt Football 2013
Tab Ramos Men’s Soccer 2012
Jim Ritcher Football 2012
Ronnie Shavlik Men’s Basketball 2013
Betty Springs Geiger Track & Field/Cross Country 2013
Julie Shea Sutton Track & Field/Cross Country 2012
Andrea Stinson Women’s Basketball 2013
Sylvester Terkay Wrestling 2013
David Thompson Men’s Basketball 2012
Coaches
Everett Case Men’s Basketball 2012
Earle Edwards Football 2013
Norman Sloan Men’s Basketball 2013
Jim Valvano Men’s Basketball 2012
Kay Yow Women’s Basketball 2012

Responses (1 Comment)

  • I will be attending the NC Sports Hall of Fame induction ceremony later this week (May 9, 2014) and wish to also extend congratulations to the worthy new inductees to the relatively new (third year) NC State Athletic Hall of Fame.
    A glance at the current and past inductees indicates that about 80% were associated with football and basketball leaving only about 20% of the total sports inductees (and no coaches)across 20+ other sports and relegating many great NCSU athletes from soccer, wrestling, track/field, tennis, etc. to a “waiting list” which will likely find many of them no longer living when inducted.

    Two Thoughts or Suggestions for Consideration:
    1. Reserve at least 50% of the inductees for non football and basketball standouts. (Or rename as the Football – Basketball and Others Hall of Fame.)

    2. Have a special category for coaches/other non players and admit a maximum of two per year for the first 10 years – then blend into the regular induction criteria.

    At any rate – just a few thoughts and suggestions regarding future inductees to what is sure to be a great NCSU Athletic Hall of Fame.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. All fields except website are required.