Big changes were evident on campus this week as the building that housed the NC State bookstore for 50 years was torn down to make way for the renovation of the Talley Student Center. Bookstore staff and inventory moved to the ground floor of Harrelson Hall, where they will remain until the new student center opens in 2014.
The bookstore building, originally called the Student Supply Center, was designed by modern architect G. Milton Small in 1959. Small, who served on the faculty of the College of Design in the early 1950s, also designed the Burlington Engineering Laboratories and the Talley Student Center on campus, as well as the WRAL studios and more than 100 homes in the Drewry Hills area of Raleigh.
The new Talley Center was designed by NC State alumnus Turan Duda, a partner in Duda/Paine Architects of Durham.
A grand opening and ribbon-cutting celebration will be held for the new bookstore location on move-in weekend, Aug. 12-14.