Chancellor Randy Woodson has selected a 13-person nomination committee to begin the work of finding the university’s next athletics director. Smedes York, a former chair of the NC State Board of Trustees, will be committee chair.
“Selecting our next athletics director is an important decision for the future of the athletic program and for the university,” Woodson said. “We are looking for a proven administrator and leader, who will help our student-athletes be successful in the classroom and on the field of competition.”
The committee also includes:
- Steve Carlton, chair of the Staff Senate
- Derick Close, former trustee
- Eileen Goldgeier, vice chancellor and general counsel
- Kellie Harper, women’s basketball coach
- Kelly Hook, student body president
- David Horning, senior associate athletics director
- Charles Leffler, vice chancellor, finance and business
- Margery Overton, chair of the faculty
- Sam Pardue, faculty athletics representative
- Ray Rouse, president, Student Aid Association
- Steve Warren, Board of Trustees
- Cassius Williams, Board of Trustees
PJ Teal, secretary of the university, will provide staff support.
Chancellor Woodson said the committee will work with a search firm to help identify candidates and that he has begun conversations with several firms. He did not set a timetable for naming an interim athletics director.
The nomination committee will have its first meeting at 10:30 a.m. on Monday, May 17, at the Park Alumni Center.